by Sarah Cage
How to Refund a Game on Steam 2023 - Any top-level gamer would know what Steam is. Even novice gamers would have heard of it. thanks to technology advancements, there are now lots of ways a developer can release his or her game and earn a profit on it. Steam is one of the many ways developers release their games and make money.
There are lots of games on Steam that needs you to pay before you can have access to play it. there are some reasons you want to get a refund on a game you bought on steam. Here are some of them:
Steam is one such a platform that allows gamers the chance to get refunds on a game they no longer want. This is perhaps one of the reasons whypeople use the platform. Although the process is difficult, the assurance that the refund works makes it the go-to place when buying games.
DLCs are updates game developers release to add more content to their game or fix a bug. When you purchase game DLC from steam, you can request for refund. To do this, you must meet two conditions or you won’t be eligible for the refund.
- Request for the refund within fourteen (14) days of purchasing the DLC
- The amount of game time you have recorded on the game must be less than 2 hours. If you play the DLC over 2 hours you will no longer be eligible for the refund.
As long as you purchase the game from steam, you can get a refund for purchases you make in the game. Before you do this, you need to:
- Make sure the in-game items you purchased are as you bought them: If you mistakenly purchased an item only to realize the item is not what you want, you must make sure you do not tamper with the item
You should know that steam will not refund you in this instancebecause they were items sold by developers and not on steam. Hence you will make a request to the game developers
Likewise, if you want to request a refund because made a video bundle purchase in a game, you won’t get a refund from steam because it is a third-party item.
Sometimes a developer allows gamers the chance to pre-purchase a game before it’s an official release. For whatever reason, you can decide tocancel the purchase and request a refund as long as you made the purchase directly on steam. Please note that if the game is now available for download (i.e. released) on Steam, you need to request the refund within fourteen (14) days of the game’s official release.
For steam wallet issues, you can apply for a refund as long as you haven’t used the wallet. It is also essential thatyou purchased the wallet from steam or you won’t be eligible for a refund from steam but from third-party clients.
Steam Hardware is custom made hardware from steam for playing games on steam. You can buy them from the Steam store. There are cases where you might want a refund on any of this hardware. It is important you know that you have only fourteen (14) days to ship back the hardware to Steam after you have the approval from steam support. failure to do this leads to give up of the refund.
Conditions you have to meet:
- You need to make the request within fourteen days or thirty days of purchasing the wallet or of purchasing the hardware respectively.
- You also need to make sure you spend none of the funds in your wallet in the meantime
Please note, it is important to buy the hardware directly from the steam official store. buying from a third-party store means you are eligible for a refund based on the terms and condition of the third party store you purchased the item from.
Note: if you are unsure of what is eligible for a refund on steam and what is not, you can visit steam’s website and get all the situations you can make a refund for.
- You can navigate to the “recent purchases” section where you can now click on the game’s title
- You can also find your way to the “Purchases Tab” on the site and click the game’s title
- You have to make sure you meet the requirements of any refund reason you have. If you have played the game for less than 2 hours, you will have toclick “I would like a refund”.
- If you have played the game more than 2 hours, you have to first click “It’s not what I expected” before you now click “I’d like to request a refund.
Once you submit the request, this will lead to the creation of a support ticket with steam summer support. Now you have to wait for a member of the support team to review it. Once the support completes the review, you will receive a mail from them telling you whether you will or will not be receiving a refund.
In case you get the message from support telling you are not eligible for a refund, you still have one chance to appeal the refund. To do this, you will have tosubmit another request which will consequently lead to the creation of another support ticket. A different employee in the support department will review your request and because you already made a request before, double check to make sure you are not denied a refund unfairly.
If you are again denied a refund, it suffices to say you might honestly not be eligible for a refund. Thus, you have tomake sure you get the details of your situation right before making a refund plea.
Once you have submitted your refund request, and have gotten confirmation from steam you are eligible to receive a refund, you shouldsee your refund within a week. However, in case of a major bank or public holidays, it might take longer than this. Also, refunds are not made on weekends.
You should also know that your refund will return to you through the payment method you used when you made the purchase. This means that if you made the purchase using a PayPal payment method, you can expect your funds to show up in your PayPal account. Likewise, if you use your bank card or a credit card.
In case you do not see your funds after a week of waiting, you can either;
- Contact the financial institution you used to make the purchase and inquire about any pending transactions. If there are none, you do not have to panic.
- You can check your steam wallet. This is because there are some payment methods available through steam that does not support refunds.
It is important you pay utmost attention whenever you are making a purchase on Steam in orderto reduce cases of refunds. Hopefully, you have picked up how to successfully request for a refund on steam and get it.
About Sarah Cage
Sarah Cage is an accomplished education writer known for her insightful and engaging work in the field. With a passion for empowering students and teachers alike, she has made a significant impact through her thought-provoking articles and research papers.